MSFHR continues to work in partnership with the Ministry of Health and other stakeholders on development of a provincial health research strategy. The project consists of three main phases:
- Planning and preliminary research (summer)
- Consultation (September – March)
- Analysis and writing (March – June)
Planning and preliminary research is well underway. As part of this phase, MSFHR is coordinating key informant interviews to inform broad consultations starting in the fall. Interview participants will be asked for their views on the purpose of a health research strategy for BC, critical success factors for its development, and what information stakeholders may need for the consultation phase.
In addition, a BC health research strategy advisory board was appointed in late June, based on nominations from BC’s health research community.
The advisory board will be chaired by Dr. Diane Finegood, President & CEO of MSFHR. Its role is to provide advice on the development of the BC health research strategy and, specifically, to guide the work of a planning team (comprising MSFHR, the BC Ministry of Health, and Health Research BC representatives). The board will have its first meeting in August as part of the planning phase.
BC health research strategy advisory board members
- Stirling Bryan – Director, Centre for Clinical Epidemiology & Evaluation, Vancouver Coastal Health
- Robin Ciceri – President, The Research Universities’ Council of BC
- Mary Collins – Director, BC Healthy Living Alliance
- Heather Davidson – Assistant Deputy Minister, Planning Innovation Division, BC Ministry of Health
- Howard Feldman – Executive Associate Dean, Research, Faculty of Medicine, UBC
- Brett Finlay – Professor, Michael Smith Laboratories, University of BC
- Robert Halpenny – President & CEO, Interior Health
- Martha MacLeod – Chair, School of Nursing, University of Northern BC
- David Ostrow – President & CEO, Vancouver Coastal Health
- Simon Pimstone – President & CEO, Xenon Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Sonia Singh – Medical Director, Research and Development, Fraser Health
- Lynn Stevenson – Executive VP, People and Organizational Development; Practice & Chief Nurse, Vancouver Island Health Authority
- Alan Winter – President & CEO, Genome BC
- Diane Finegood – President & CEO, Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research (Chair)
- Bev Holmes – VP, External Relations & Business Strategy, Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research (MSFHR executive lead for the strategy development)